Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fixing your eyes on the "Son" - Week 1

 

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." - Psalms 19:14
 
I couldn't resist purchasing these adorable rainboots for my girls while shopping at Costco recently, they even came with matching umbrella's.  It made me happy to know their little feet would be protected from the rain this fall but it also made me sad to realize summer is almost over. 
 
Here in the Pacific NW, it's often true that when it rains it pours. I might be driving on the freeway with no rain one minute and then in the blink of an eye it's an outright downpour. I move my windshield wipers to the fastest speed possible and it's still not enough to keep the rain off the window so I can see the road before me.  This sudden downpour is similar to me and my raw emotions at times. I'm fine and dandy one minute and then "BOOM"...it gets real ugly. I get real ugly.
 
Anger and being out of control with my emotions is something I have struggled with as far back as I can recall.  When I am hurt, tired, emotional drained, frustrated, feel rejected, stressed out, or things feel out of control...my raw emotions kick into high gear and I come "unglued". 
 
A few weeks ago I had a major moment of coming "unglued" on my husband.  I decided to go for a run to burn off some steam and cried out to God as I ran: "Why am I like this God?", "Why do I allow myself to get so worked up?", "Why am I so full of pride?", "Why is it so hard for me to remain humble and calm?", "Am I ever going to change?", and here is what I felt the Lord say in response..."Andrea you make me like an idol in your life. You hold onto me and show me off in your life when you want and then other times you put me up on the shelf when I am not needed or you think you can handle a situation yourself and your way. But I am not an idol that you can do that. I am the one true God who created you and who you can trust to help you work through those raw emotions the right way. You can't give part of yourself over to me. I want ALL of you, every area of your life to be surrendered to me."
 
Can you relate? Do you struggle with raw emotions? I'm choosing to fix my eyes on Jesus, will you join me in doing the same!!  It's a daily chose to surrender ALL of yourself to Him! 
 
Recognize you are a work in progress, therefore perfection is not the goal....but running to Jesus is!  When you fall short, let it be a reminder how desperately you need the Lord. 
 

"A final word: Be strong in the Lord in his mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil." - Ephesians 6:10
(ladies it's time to put on our spiritual "rain gear")
 
"People with understanding control their anger;
a hot temper shows great foolishness." - Proverbs 14:29

"Sensible people control their temper;
they earn respect by overlooking wrongs." - Proverbs 19:11


"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires." - James 1:19-20

 
Allow me to pray with you: "Lord, your love for us is the most amazing thing ever.  It's not based on works, performance, or perfection instead it's a beautiful gift wrapped up with a beautiful bow called grace.  You love us at our best and you love us at our worst.  I ask you to meet this beautiful lady right where she is in her life and with any struggles she may have with anger or raw emotions.  May she choose to fix her eyes on you today.  I pray she encounters your love for her in a new and fresh way and that you would begin to change her from the inside out.   And in those moments when she fails and her emotions get the best of her, I pray it would be another opportunity for her to run to you, call out to you, and surrender ALL of herself to you!  In Jesus mighty name I pray.  Amen"   
 
 
 Stay tuned next week for part 2 of my story!
 
 
Please Subscribe here if you don't want to miss upcoming posts or find me on Facebook!
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. This post fits me to a T! I knew I liked your blog for a reason. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you for sharing this.....I can easily see myself in your words. I soo needed to hear these words.....our eyes must remain on Him. If things in our day aren't going as we'd hoped, maybe we have lost our focus and our eyes have strayed off of Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great word Andrea! A good reminder of how we can get " stuck " in a cycle of emotions, but I know I will be thinking of those scriptures you put in there throughout my week ;-). Thankyou for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this Andrea! I needed to hear this after the day i had yesterday! Good reminder and great Scriptures to reflect on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete