Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fixing your eyes on the "Son" - Week 3

"But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will RUN and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." - Isaiah 40:31

On June 16th of this year I officially turned into a runner. I went from not having ran in years to running an average of 18 miles a week. I even ran in my first race, the Heroes for Hope Race, and had a personal record!! I'm not really sure what got me motivated to start running but I am so thankful I did. It's not only providing me with exercise but a chance to start my day on the right "foot" as I listen to worship music and surrender my day to the Lord.

Since I started running in the summer months I have been spoiled by lots of daylight, even as early as I go. However, I am noticing it getting dimmer and dimmer as the days go on. I'm not for running in darkness, nothing about that sounds fun. I like light....lots of light (and sunshine). But when you live in the Pacific NW light and sunshine don't make much of an appearance in the fall & winter.

The combination of running and darkness just don't make sense, which means I am going to have to embrace running on a treadmill for a few months. With the absence of light means things like stumbling, making wrong turns, accidents, confusion and frustration. Light provides direction, guidance, insight, and safety. The same is true of parenting.

If there is one race of life I don't want to be in the DARK, it is that of parenting. I need Jesus, my light, to navigate me along on the winding roads, sharp corners, steep inclines and unexpected obstacles.
 
 
"And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us." - Hebrews 12:1b
 
 

I can not begin to tell you all the times I have felt like I was in total darkness as a mom. I have stumbled, made wrong turns, and felt despair and frustration more times than I can count. There have been so many times I've laid my head on my pillow at the end of the day, and thought back on that days tantrums, mischievous behaviors, defiant battles, attitudes while doing school and how I handled myself in those moments. I knew I had lacked self-control and godliness in those situations. I felt like a failure. I was far from being a "Super Mom."
 
When I parent/homeschool in my own strength I am left feeling weary, defeated, and off track from the path I know God wants me and my family to be on. I am learning to "Fix my eyes on the Son", as He is the one who pours out wisdom, understanding, insight, discernment, and strength! He is the one who fills me with patience, grace, and joy for the journey. He is the one who lights my path each and every day.


"Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” - John 8:12
 
"Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you." - Psalm 25:5
I need to be walking each and every day in the LIGHT because my girls are looking, observing, watching and following closely behind. Parenting is not a call to perfection. That is an impossible goal. It's a call to follow Jesus and to walk in the Light. It's a call to walk in grace. It's a call to walk in humility. It's a call to be teachable. It's a call to put our hope and trust in our Maker!
Do you feel like you are walking in darkness? Are you struggling in the area of parenting? Do you feel overwhelmed, tired, worn out, defeated, uncertain, frazzled, guilt-ridden, or stretched to the max?

Please allow me to pray with you:
"Lord, I lift up this precious mom to you. You know her struggles, fears, and areas of weakness in regards to parenting her children. I ask that you would bring her out of the darkness and into the light. Begin to reveal things to her, confirm in her heart the purposes of motherhood that you have called her specifically too. Show her the path you want her on. Give her your wisdom and understanding. Fill her life with contentment, self-control, patience, and purpose. I ask that she would not be a mom who continually walks around guilt-ridden because she thinks she isn't good enough as a mom. Help her not to compare herself to any other mom either. May she strive not to be a perfect mom but a grace-filled mom to her kids. In Jesus name I pray. Amen"
This concludes the "Fixing your eyes on the Son" series!
For the Introduction to the series go here.
For week 1 click here.
For week 2 click here.
 

Please Subscribe here if you don't want to miss upcoming posts or find me on Facebook!
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment