Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Constant and Unchanging

A few weekends ago my family went on a mini road trip to go visit my dear Grandma who lives about 4 hours away.  The moment we pulled up and I started walking into the house from the garage, there was that very familiar smell.  I can't really describe it but it's just the same smell I have recalled since I was little. 

Everything about my grandparents home is exactly the same every time I come for a visit.  The same pictures hanging on the side of the fridge, the same little stuffed animals sitting up on a little toy rocking chair, the same couch, the same TV, the same grandfather clock that chimes all through the night, the same pictures on the walls, the same dishes, and the same joyful Grandma to greet me with a hug and a kiss.  The only thing not the same is that my Grandpa has passed away and his presence is certainly missed.





 
There is such comfort in the familiar, the unchanging, the constant.  I thrive on those three things.  I love routine, a schedule, things planned out on the calendar, and daily rituals.  But we all know life doesn't always work this way.  Sometimes there are unexpected things that come up, strains in relationships, health issues that arise, a child suddenly feverish, a planned event that gets cancelled, a death in the family, a marriage that feels like it's unraveling at the seams, a child that is leaving for college, oh the list could go on and on.  The ground can feel shaky underneath us and we don't quite know what to hold on to.  We feel like we are losing our bearings.  Or losing sight of what truly matters. 

But just like my sweet Grandma's home being an unchanging place of such comfort...that is our God.  He is unchanging, He is constant, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  We can always count on Him.  He will never fail us.  His love endures forever.  His grace is always there.  His forgiveness is always available. 

We can find the same peace, joy, hope, strength, truth, forgiveness, healing, love, and comfort every time we open the door to the Lord's house.  I don't know about you but I am so incredibly thankful for one thing in my life that I KNOW won't ever change!   He is who we can hold onto when life gets shaky and He is who we must keep our eyes fixed on, ALWAYS!!
 
 

 


 


Please Subscribe here if you don't want to miss upcoming posts or find me on Facebook!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment